Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Borscht & Bread

As a favor to some of my gluten free friends, I've decided to include dinner recipes in my blog whenever I'm making something I haven't posted about already. This means there will be lots of recipes to begin with, and then they'll taper off after a while!

So, tonight, because autumn has arrived, and we have a craving for stew, I'm making beet soup, known to the Russians as borscht. I make this in the crockpot, and I make no claims that it is authentically Russian.



Beet Soup
Place in the crockpot:
1.5 pounds beef stew meat
4 - 5 diced medium potatoes
4 - 5 diced beets
1/2 head of cabbage
1 medium sauted onion
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (Braggs & Heinz are both gluten free)
1 T brown sugar
some dollops of butter over the top

Cook on high until the meat is brown - about 2 hours.
Cook on low for about another 4 hours until the vegetables are soft.

Serve with sour cream and gluten free bread!



Gluten Free Bread
Wisk together wet ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
3 eggs
1 t. vinegar (Heinz is gluten free)
3 T oil (I used olive oil.)

In a separate bowl mix:
3 1/4 cups brown rice flour
3 T sugar (I use sucanat.)
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum (This stuff is expensive, but most recipes call for very little, and it's what makes gluten free foods stick together.)
1 1/2 t. salt
1 packet of Red Star active dry yeast

Pour wet and dry ingredients into bread machine according to bread machine instructions. I always do wet on the bottom & dry on the top, but different machines have different instructions. I use the 2 lb light loaf setting, but some machines actually have a gluten free setting, and I'm sure that would be faster. Gluten free bread does not need to rise twice like regular bread, but I don't have any other options on my machine.

Check the bread in the first 5-6 minutes. It should look like thick cake batter. If it's very sticky, add water by tablespoons. I find that how much water I need differs from season to season here in MN.

Let it cool entirely, and then store it in a gallon sized bag. It's easier to slice after it's been in the bag for a few hours because the little bit of condensation softens the crust.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always good to hear from you!