Before we could use it, though, it needed a little maintenance. Since Vitamix no longer carries replacement parts for the 3600, it also required a little innovation.
We took apart the blade assembly in order to clean and oil the parts and make the blade spin smoothly...
(We also accidentally took apart the motor and put it back together...but we're not going to talk about that here...or anywhere...probably ever.)
The stainless steel canisters have a spigot in the side, like this:
But I am not a fan of the spigot. It seems like a really great place to trap food and grow bacteria. Yuck. So, we took off the spigot, and I went to my local hardware store this morning and asked how I might close the hole. They sold me this solution:
That's two washers (1.25") and two neoprene gaskets held together with a a washer and a lock nut.
Finally, the rubber seal around the dome was aged, cracking, and...well...gross. I saw that I could buy replacements on ebay (since, again, Vitamix no longer supports this product), but I was in a bit of a hurry to get to use my new blender. So, I went to the grocery store, found a lock & seal type container, took out the seal, and found that it fit in my blender dome! Yay!
|Old seal to the left, Hefty Clip Fresh container seal on the right.|
|Ta-Da! Dome with new, clean seal!|
Later we made squash & sausage soup from the squash Vespera brought us. LOVE autumn soups!