Monday, October 20, 2014

Restoring the Vitamix 3600 - Plug the spigot, replace the seal...

I bought a VITA-MIX 3600 from someone on Craig's list yesterday, and I am so very excited! We LOVE the stainless steel container and the old-fashioned-looking base.

Before we could use it, though, it needed a little maintenance. Since Vitamix no longer carries replacement parts for the 3600, it also required a little innovation.

We took apart the blade assembly in order to clean and oil the parts and make the blade spin smoothly...


(We also accidentally took apart the motor and put it back together...but we're not going to talk about that here...or anywhere...probably ever.)

The stainless steel canisters have a spigot in the side, like this:


But I am not a fan of the spigot. It seems like a really great place to trap food and grow bacteria. Yuck. So, we took off the spigot, and I went to my local hardware store this morning and asked how I might close the hole.  They sold me this solution:


That's two washers (1.25") and two neoprene gaskets held together with a a washer and a lock nut.

Finally, the rubber seal around the dome was aged, cracking, and...well...gross. I saw that I could buy replacements on ebay (since, again, Vitamix no longer supports this product), but I was in a bit of a hurry to get to use my new blender. So, I went to the grocery store, found a lock & seal type container, took out the seal, and found that it fit in my blender dome! Yay!

Old seal to the left, Hefty Clip Fresh container seal on the right.

Ta-Da! Dome with new, clean seal!
And we made our first smoothie! This blender is so quiet compared to our previous blender, and it did a great job!!


Later we made squash & sausage soup from the squash Vespera brought us. LOVE autumn soups!



23 comments:

  1. OH, my gosh! That is vintage Vita-Mix. Oh, so VERY cool looking!! I love it!! And I love how you guys fixed it up!!! Can't wait to see it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi--Just wondering how your spigot fix has held up. Is it working well? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's working great!! I'm always extra careful to clean around it on the inside because that's one potential place for junk to get caught. But I also always clean the blender immediately. So, everything rinses out really well.

    I *did* end up ordering a real replacement gasket for the lid from someone on ebay because the gasket/seal from the Hefty storage container was not thick enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if you used food-grade neoprene gaskets for the spigot replacement - and, if so, then where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did *not* use food-grade gaskets. I feel like I should be embarrassed now. The guy at my hardware store asked me if I'd be using the blender commercially because then I'd have to have food-grade gaskets. He had no idea where to buy them either, and I wasn't concerned enough to pursue it. Sorry. I'm no help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how did you take off our spigot? I really want to replace mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would also love to know how you removed the spigot. Mine is the original from 1977 and I would love to replace it/stop it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that the spigot unscrews from the inside. My husband remembers it being very tight and having to use a wrench from the inside. If you aren't planning to use it, it's not a big deal if it ends up breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are 3 things Vitamix still has for the 3600, the dome cover assembly, the agitator assembly, and spigot parts. They have a cap that fits in the inside of the spigot so it doesn't work but looks authentic on the outside. Mine doesn't get yucky. Just another option. -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where can you find these replacement parts? I would love an agitator assembly and spigot parts.

      Delete
    2. You can call Vitamix directly and order a brand new pitcher to fit (plastic one instead of stainless steel) for $150

      Delete
  10. You can get the parts directly from Vitamix. If you cannot find the parts on the website, you can send them an email. They were quick to get back to me when I had questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you comment on the replacement parts for the blade assembly please? I have one with a loose blade assembly and it does not even appear to have all of the parts pictured. I am assuming that I could just take it down to the local Home Depot or Lowe's and look for similar parts / seals but, was also wondering if you had done so by now. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did not replace any parts in the blade assembly, but you could try contacting Vitamix directly to ask about parts. They sometimes have what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you remove your blade? I have tried wrenches and sockets. Does it need a special tool? Is there a trick I'm missing? Thanks

      Delete
  13. I used a wrench to get the spigot off mine... I used the wrench to bash the plastic spigot to peices and then it all finally came apart πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  14. My stainless still cannister is leaking, right at the seam near the bottom. Does it come apart? Maybe just needs a gasket replaced?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think the canister itself comes apart, and I don't believe there's a gasket there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are right. On closer inspection it looks like I need a welder. πŸ˜•Or order a new one. Thanks for your blog and reply!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I removed the spigot & I installed the neoprene gaskets with a washer and a lock with ease. Unfortunately it leaks slightly on the outside near the head of the locknut. Has anyone else experienced this & if so, how did you repair this? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you put gaskets on both sides? Is it on tight enough? I have not had any leaking. It's been 2 years, and I use the blender all the time. I'm sorry I'm not more help. The only experience I have is just this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another option for the seal on the action dome is to find a hardware store carrying natural latex rubber tubing, I think 1/8", but maybe 1/4" outside diameter. Get a length of more than a foot, and it will fit nicely in the groove, cutting it to length so the ends just touch each other (you can make matching diagonal cuts to get an ever better seal). This makes a hallow compressible seal that bounces back after each use and is easier to remove and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I inherited a 3600 the folks bought years ago. Haven't used it because the dome leaks,now I can fix it!

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!