Thursday, January 17, 2008

A morning person?

You know, I really *do* love mornings. I do. I woke up extra early on Wednesday to make sure I could borrow my neighbor's car to go to Bible study (and I had to call her before she left to take her kids to school), and I realized that I like it when the sun is just coming up & the world is hushed. It's the same way I feel about walking around the house in the middle of the night when everything is still and peaceful. It occurred to me that *maybe* I could transfer my love of late nights to a love of early mornings. It's entirely possible that I resist early mornings because people talk about getting up early as though there's something so virtuous about it, and I resist the idea that there's something more holy about getting up early than staying up late. It always felt so adventurous to stay up late in college, when I first became truly acquainted with the wee hours of the morning (those being 1am - 4am). Getting up early is really only an extension of those adventurous hours (5am & 6am). Of course, that would entail going to bed early and giving up my love of the midnight hours. Because God (and everybody else) knows how I feel (and act) when I don't get enough sleep. So, I have to trade. The late night hours make me think of the descriptions of Fynn at the beginning of Mr. God, This is Anna, and I feel connected to writers everywhere. Early mornings, though, make me think of Anne of Green Gables, gardening, dewdrops, and SUNSHINE. Hmmmm...I'm going to have to give those early hours some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always good to hear from you!