Saturday, February 02, 2008

Lent

Lent is not something I've traditionally known a lot about, nor is it something I'll probably ever practice as a Catholic person might. I find myself, nonetheless, drawn to Lent as a season of meditation and quiet in anticipation of Easter and the coming of Spring. This time of year is somehow suited to Lent, as it gives purpose to the winter hush and darkness. It's a time to reflect, a time to let go, a time when my own wounded-ness feels so exposed. Last year I gave up my favorite message board for Lent. This year I'll do the same. The time away from the computer last year was a time to refocus, to listen to God and my own parent voice, rather than the cacophany of other voices so readily available to me on the internet. And, to be honest, even the small amount of time I spend on the computer these days is enough to mess with my mental health this time of year. I find that the screen isn't too good for me. I'll still be writing here, and, perhaps, my writing with even improve with a little more time for reflection. Wednesday, February 6th marks the beginning of Lent. And Lent ends with the celebration of Easter. May we be greeted at the end with snow-melt and sunshine!

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration. So many things are cluttering my mind right now, that giving up the computer ENTIRELY would be very beneficial. I am a news junkie, more than the message board, so the challenge for me is to stop reading the news sites. sigh.... Who knows..? Maybe I can pull it off. Right now I'm sitting at the computer, going back and forth between useless articles, feeling very fuzzy headed, yet nicely caffeinated. I really do need to unplug. Anyway, hope to see you soon again! We had a blast last time. :)

    olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga, Fuzzy-headed would be exactly how I feel with too much computer time this time of year. I didn't quit the internet entirely last year & I won't entirely this year, either. I just need to reduce, and the message board is the place where I spend the most time. Everything else is just looking up one thing here or there for homeschooling or checking my e-mail or writing in my blog.

    Caffeine is my drug of choice for keeping the winter depression at bay. It works for me, and I don't see a lot of harm in keeping it up. And I'm GLAD you enjoy getting together to chat over a cup of coffee!! I've enjoyed the time with you & your little person! I'll e-mail you soon about getting together next week. Mane is SICK this week. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry she is sick. Poor girl! :(

    olga

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!