Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Make Your Own Chicken Broth/Stock!

A friend asked me recently how I make chicken broth. Here's the answer:

Throw a whole chicken in a huge pot with at least 4 quarts of water. Add

about a pound of carrots,
5-6 stalks of celery,
2-4 small zucchini,
1-2 onions,
3-5 cloves of garlic,
2T salt,
and 1T apple cider vinegar.

Boil for several hours.



Today I removed the chicken after about 4 hours so that I could use it for dinner. I threw the bones back in the pot to keep boiling and to give the broth all the benefits of the bone minerals.

After 4 hours, I strained the broth, poured it into jars, and set the jars on my counter to seal:



The salt and the vinegar help to preserve the broth, and it can last several weeks in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a total broth junkie. I try to make it once a week. My mom got me some chicken feet. I'm a little grossed out, but eager to see how gelatinous I can make the broth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unbelievable how good that stuff is for you (considering how gross it seems). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!