Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Every year when Lent comes around, I remind everyone that, although I am not Catholic, this is a season of reflection, of meditation. A season to turn inward and outward at the same time...maybe to turn inside out. It's a time to step away from my favorite pastime, the GCM message board, and to see what flows out of spending my time elsewhere. The scraps of spare time I would have spent on the message board become a time to hear my own voice and, more importantly, the voice of the One who leads me. For Catholics, Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent and is a day of confession, a day, perhaps, to start over with a clean slate, to come clean before the Most Holy.

Yesterday I wanted to spend a nice evening with Mango, but I hadn't showered and I'd been cleaning and cooking and doing laundry all day. My head felt heavy. I felt rushed and task-oriented. We were getting ready to walk out the door when I said, "I just need to go take a shower." I needed to get clean, refreshed. I couldn't see myself having one nice conversation feeling so rumpled and oily.

Maybe that's what Ash Wednesday is about. We confess and come clean so that we can sit down and have a real conversation with the One who loves us best.

We are in a unique position here at The Midnight Cafe. As I said in my last post, we're in this peculiar place of reentry. I can't think of a better time to be in this place. Our spirits are ready for Lent, ready to regain focus, to seek new direction, to anticipate spring, the celebration of Easter, the return of the leaves and biking and long afternoons in the sun.

1 comment:

  1. You rock. I love the shower analogy. I just love the way you think :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!