Friday, October 10, 2008

Taking Care of Business

I feel like I've been on the phone constantly since the accident. The fact that you have to keep it together enough to write down claim numbers, medicals claims insurance agent names and numbers, auto claims insurance agent names and numbers, total loss department addresses and phone numbers, police report numbers, auto body shop numbers, etc, etc... makes me wonder how the rest of the world makes it through car accidents. The big news today is that the subaru is, indeed, TOTALED. Unfortunately, our insurance assessor probably won't let us know until Monday what the insurance company will give us for the car. So, we'll shop for a car this weekend, not knowing how much money we really have. It could be worse.

I am so thankful today, actually, though, for the myriad of people whose names and numbers are scribbled on the back of the envelop on the table to get us through this process. I know it's their job, and this is what they're paid to do, but, for the most part, they've also been really nice about it. How often do you get to say that? It reminds me that we can all use a little kindness. I mean, I honestly don't expect people to be nice about this stuff, and it reminds me of how desperately we need a little kindness in our culture, in our communities, in our lives. We're parched and dying from lack of simple kindness.

So, think of me and be kind to someone today. It's been balm to all our wounds to hear kind words, to be treated gently and with respect. I will go out and do the same because I believe that the practice of kindness is just as healing as receiving kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always good to hear from you!