Monday, August 11, 2008

The Ultimate Camping Trip Packing List

Last time we were packing for a camping trip Vespera & Novio stood around my counter grinning and laughing about my LIST. Apparently they've never known anyone who writes lists so neurotically (they haven't seen my mother in action). Vespera actually whispered to Novio that I write grocery lists. *gasp* Who has ever heard of such a thing?! The truth is that my brain stopped optimal functioning somewhere around my 3rd week of pregnancy, and I haven't been able to remember things very well ever since. So, I write lists. Once I had written the same camping list over and over every summer for I-don't-know-how-many summers, I decided to write the list on the computer and keep it. Back then I didn't know that one only has to do a google search to find the list they're looking for, and then one doesn't actually have to even come up to the original list. So, this is my own original list...for those of you who just google everything. ;)

Cooking:
Cooler
Grill
Charwood
Grilling utensils
Foil
Ziplocs
Water Bag
Cooking Pots
Coffee Pot
Knife
Plates & Bowls
Eating Utensils
Napkins
Peeler Dicer Slicer
Mugs
Dishcloth
Dish Soap
Tea
Coffee
Sauce
Storage containers

Sleeping:
Sleeping bags
Air mats
Pillows
Light Blankets
Tent
Tarp
Flashlight

Misc.:
Camera & Film
Trash Bags
Bikes & Trailer
Books
Games
Pen & Paper
Toys
Map
Reservation Info.
Cell Phone
Wallet
ipod

Clothes & Personal:
Shoes
Socks
Underclothes
PJs
Shorts & Pants
Shirts
Swimming Suits
Jacket
Comb
Hair Ties
Toothbrushes & Paste
Shampoo & Conditioner
Deodorant
Towels
Washcloths
Wipes
Lotion
Sunscreen
Bug Stuff
Soap
Keeper
Itch Relief
Fingernail Clippers

Before Leaving:
Close Windows
Check Laundry
Run Dishwasher
Take out trash
Unplug computer
Tell the grandparents we’re gone


I cross off the things I'm not bringing for this particular trip as soon as I get started. Then I figure out how many meals we need, write a meal plan, and write a list of what foods we need to bring to accomplish the meal plan. Presto. Finished. Sounds like a lot of work. I promise it's less work than running to the grocery store every five minutes after you've already left on your trip.

So, that's my Martha Stewart moment for the day. Maybe I should call this Domestic Notes from the MidnightCafe...unless ya'll have another suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. I totally do this. I love it!!! I have the pre-printed list, I cross off what we don't need for that trip, make sure I don't need to add anything special (meds or something) and then run around gathering up all the gear, stopping to cross things off as I pack them...
    We are packing geeks perhaps (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found Ziplocks make my life a lot easier on trips too. Ziplocks take care of leftovers. Ziplocks take care of utensils I'm not ready to wash yet. All my jewelry stays put in a Ziplock. Shampoo and other things don't spill out and ruin my clothes and books if they're in a Ziplock. Yeah, Ziplocks handle everything by keeping it in one little bag. I love Ziplocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes!! ZIPLOCS!! We cannot live without them. I just packed half my cooler items in ziplocs (yes, we're supposed to be leaving this morning)because they take up less space that way.

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!