Thursday, November 04, 2010

Praying this prayer for a friend today...

I ran into this poem in Madeleine L'Engle's book, A Swiftly Tilting Planet. In the book the words "At Tara" in the first line are often replaced with the words, "With ______," depending on who needs the "rune" or prayer at any given point in the story. Today, I am praying this prayer for a friend. Feel free to fill in the blank with names or places that need prayers in your life today....

********************************************

Patrick's Rune by Madeleine L’Engle

At Tara in this fateful hour
I place all Heaven with its power
And the sun with its brightness,
And the snow with its whiteness,
And the fire with all the strength it hath,
And the lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the winds with their swiftness along their path,
And the sea with its deepness,
And the rocks with their steepness,
And the earth with its starkness:
All these I place
By God’s almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness!

3 comments:

  1. I love this prayer. I had never seen it before. It's beautiful. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this is a great prayer--thanks for posting. I had never seen it before. (I tried to post a comment before, but I'm not sure if it worked. Sorry if there are now two.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you posted this quite awhile ago (yep, I'm a lil behind, go figure)but it really spoke to me tonight. So what I needed to hear. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!