Friday, July 30, 2010

More Questions from Mane

Mane told me the other day that she has so many questions that she sees no end to them. Me too. And it only gets worse the older you get.

Yesterday she was wanting to know how it is that Jesus is God, and God is God, but there is only one God. Try explaining Trinity to an eight year old.

Then she was trying to understand how we can say BOTH that the reason the moon shines is because God made it that way AND because the moon is reflecting the light of the sun. How can one question have two answers? Oh, my child, this is only the beginning. Most questions have so many answers.

Two days ago she pointed out to me that if you look at yourself in the mirror and you have a mirror behind you also, the reflections go on forever. And she wants to know how far that is. Infinity. How far is infinity?

She wants to know if God is outside the universe or inside it, and how can God be everywhere at once, and how can God have no end? More infinity. And if there's an end to the universe, then there must eventually be a place where there is nothing. So, what is nothing?

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love her observation about the two mirrors and her wondering about infinity. What precious, deep thoughts from a young soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah, my head hurts. I got enough of this in philosophy class, now I have to expect it from my children? :p

    Very intelligent, deep questions, though. If you guys find some of those answers, let me know too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet :) The inquiring mind of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. That girl is smart. Scary smart. As in, WHAT questions will be next??? :)

    I'm glad you're her mom, because you're wise and intuitive and good.

    Miss you.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!