Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thoughts on Cohousing

Cohousing is filled with all kinds of unusual questions and strange concerns.

I find myself wondering if I should hang out in the kitchen doing homeschool with Mane at the table in order to give the young couple some space in the the living room...or if it drives them nuts that I'm always in the kitchen when they want to cook (or shower, since the bathroom is right off the kitchen).

I wonder whether we should ask them to join us for everything, if they're tired of being bothered, or if they'll feel left out if we don't ask.

I wonder if we should say goodnight at night or if we should leave them alone.

When they're quiet, we wonder if they're ok or just sleepy or busy.

I wonder if I talk too much. And then I back off. And then I wonder if I haven't said enough.

We wonder if we should stay home when they're home in order to spend time with them or if they'd like to have the house to themselves.

And then. Then...I realize that we wonder and worry too much. It's ok to just be ourselves. We're all loving people with a lot of care and respect for each other. If we wonder, we should ask. Direct communication works amazingly well.

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. "Direct communication works amazingly well." What a great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!