Monday, May 11, 2009

Music Monday - Closer to Fine

I cannot begin to tell you how many times this song has been quoted at The Midnight Cafe...by either myself or Mango. I'm not sure how many other songs by the the Indigo Girls I actually even know, but this song has spoken volumes to me over the last 10 years or so (yes, even before itunes).

Most recently, I've grabbed on to this part:
Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable,
and lightness has a call that's hard to hear.
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket,
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it.
Now I'm crawling on your shores.


There's been way too much fear and anxiety around this house for the last many months, and I gotta say, that little ship of safety sinks pretty quick. Often, OFTEN, I've found myself crawling onto the shore, weary and sore.

And what does this song tell me? There are no definitive answers. Nope. None. I mean, of course there's God, my Source. But, after that, well...

The less I seek my Source for some definitive,
the closer I am to fine.


I find that I very seldom get the answers, at least not definitive ones, and, especially, not when I want them. In many ways I think the only answer is...well...God. Which is really hard to grab onto. I just finished reading The Shack, and at the end of his time with God, Mack asks what he's supposed to do when he gets back home. God tells him, basically, that's it's not about "doing" something. It's about knowing God and living life out of that relationship.

Easier said than done.


4 comments:

  1. I love this song... The Indigo Girls are just wonderful at putting words together and illustrating life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be in my head all night :)

    I love it for all the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another one to think about, i'm sure...you seem to have this wonderful ability to make me think about(or re-think, sometimes) the things that i think i know...

    nothing is definitive & though it would be easier, would we really want a definitive?

    sometimes i don't like not having answers but i love having to search for the answers. gives me a purpose, one i can wrap my head around, i suppose...a small comfort when there aren't many...

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this song, amy. it was especially resonant and healing for me in the years following my college experience ;) praying for peace for you <3

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you!